Doomhammer's Legacy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doomhammer's Legacy (Earthen Ring) Guild Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Ventrilo Server

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sandro
Grunt
Grunt

The Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: The Ventrilo Server   The Ventrilo Server Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Right so the server I have at home isn't running, it's tired and will soon be laid to rest in the technology graveyard that is my attic. This leaves me with a few options on hosting our Vent:

1) Pay for a server at about $5 monthly rate and use that
2) Use a free server that I only have access to 8hours at a time, after which I need to reserve a new server
3) Host the Vent on my computer

Well I certainly ain't paying for one, even if it is only a few quid :p And my poor little computer couldn't handle any hosting on top of everything else.

So that leaves me the 2nd option.

Since I can't foresee me registering a new sever every 8 hours every single day, I'm passing that bit on to you guys. If you wish to use the Vent, you'll have to reserve a sever for a while and post the info on the forum for everyone else.

Go to http://www.freeventriloserver.com/ to reserve a server slot and then post the log-in info on the forum for everyone else to use to get online.
I'll be cleaning up the forum every few days to delete old and out-dated posts that are sure to build up.

I wish I knew of a better alternative but alas I can find none. Gone are the days of free sever slots, the internet has changed since I dabbled in all this in my early teenage years, when things still felt fresh on the web and all of this would have been much easier.

If anyone knows of a better solution please let me know as I am at a loss.

Sandrø
Back to top Go down
Yahmon
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: The Ventrilo Server   The Ventrilo Server Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 9:12 pm

Why don't we just use the wow's own voice chat, or skype? Razz
Back to top Go down
IlythissZG
Grunt
Grunt

PostSubject: Re: The Ventrilo Server   The Ventrilo Server Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 9:27 pm

I have my ex-guild Vent server that could be used because there's nobody ever on it (or very rarely), but it would really have to be kept in-guild or something because I don't want a rerun of past-days events.

Namely, some turkish fellas managed to find the address and just started logging on. I tried to communicate and see who they were and how they got there, and had to change the pass from nothing to something just to keep it safe.

Anyways - if you're interested, I can post the info in Guild MOTD when I log on next.

I'd rather not do it on a public forum Smile

Have a nice day all Smile
Back to top Go down
Yahmon
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: The Ventrilo Server   The Ventrilo Server Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 6:43 am

My grandmother is buying a new computer, and I might get my hands on her old one, which would allow me to host the vent server.
Tho, there's a few problems. Our interw3bs connection is not awesome (4 down 1 up) and we have downloads on every once in a while, so some nights might go so that I have downloads and the server is lagging, but hey, it'd be free. Razz
Also, I could host several other things, besides vent. (The comp can't handle much, but vent/TS etc should be no problem.
If you want me to get this done, tell me. Otherwise the comp will be thrown away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ventrilo Server   The Ventrilo Server Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ventrilo Server
Page 1 of 1